Monday, April 19, 2010

One week in

I am one week in – well – 1 week and 1 day if you are counting – into my new found….what’s the word….self.

It started with mentioning to my mom that I needed motivation to get my house in order. Now – my kitchen – ahhhh – my kitchen – is a place of joy! I walk in and smile. 8 days in – it is still clean. My sink shines, my cupboards are still in order, there is nothing on my counter and I know where everything is.

(I will try and post pictures as I go – I love blogs with pictures for inspiration – a pictures worth a 1000 words – right!)

Then I moved on to my front coat closet. Took everything out – put away the winter gear (kids and adults separated and labeled in bins), bought some bins for up top. It’s beautiful, organized – and I can see the bottom!

Then I took the day off – dropped the kids off at daycare and went to work. I managed to get there rooms and two closets cleaned out.

Linen closet: I got rid of 4-5 garbage bags full of stuff – from ONE linen closet!!!! One does not need 50 baby blankets! I kept 2 for each girl, and a handful for the baby – since he is still a baby. I bought crates – and what fit in the crate per each “category” was what stayed! It’s beautiful….I went to give the kids a bath…and imagine this – I found the towels and washcloths and soap without having to dig!

Cedar closet: oh my – I have been in there about 10 times in the 10 months we have lived here. It was frightening – you couldn’t open or close the door – it was full of…let’s just say…stuff! Most of it is either “storage” for if we have another baby, or donation. How many comforters does one person need – 5 – probably not! They are gone! I open it now – and – it looks great….My gift wrapping supplies are organized. Note to self – do not need to buy ANY bags, ribbons or wrapping paper any time soon! Our “personal” media and photo’s are in one location, along with our “guest” items (spare blankets and a blow up mattress).

Kids rooms: three of them! I went through every closet and every drawer. I was sick of saying – nope don’t like that – and putting it back in the drawer. Or outgrown, putting it back or this is stained (and you got it – putting it back in the drawer). Donation and garbage. Now – I walk in – everything has a home. The clothes are folded – organized – and only items I like are in there (they are still too young to have a preference). It’s awesome, relaxing and just feels good to have that done.

Next I ventured on to our room – it needs a lot of work. I got rid of a lot – but we are also in the process of building a “sanctuary”. New colors on the wall, new furniture, new room. We need a place to escape – a place to relax. A place to look around and not see baby toys. A place for us. Hopefully – in two weeks – we will have that.

I will try and take pictures and talk through how I organized. I am trying to treat this blog as one that I have been searching for – outlining a personal journey to a better life.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment